Situated on the north east edge of Guildford, Merrow straddles the busy A246 along the foot of the North Downs, with excellent access to the network of footpaths and bridleways of the Surrey Hills. The parish includes the Boxgrove, Bushy Hill and Merrow Park communities to the north of the Epsom Road and the roads leading to the Downs and Guildford Golf Course to the south.
The church has 12th Century orgins and was largely reconstructed in the early 19th century. Whilst pretty from the outside the interior has been transformed by our "Enlightening God's Space" project which was completed in July 2012, with a re-ordered east-end, new heating, lighting and complete redecoration.
St John's is a church in the liberal catholic tradition of the Church of England. We aim to be a place of spiritual, intellectual and emotional refreshment. We are an inclusive church that will give a warm welcome to all.
Our worship is centred on the Eucharist with a formal liturgy from Common Worship or BCP. Traditional vestments are worn and there is a robed choir. A range of children's activities are provided at the 10am service.
The St John's Centre was completed in 2001 and provides an attractive and high quality setting for our many church activities and is available for hire for community, private and commercial use.
( Pictures of St John's before its reconstruction can be seen at Watercolours of St John's in 1827 )